It is important to be familiar with the appearance of your dog’s normal; clean ear so that, when you make your routine weekly inspection, you will be able to prevent the occurrence of ear diseases in dogs and also aware of any Changes taking place.
A small amount of light brown waxy secretion is normal and necessary to the health of the ear but there should be no unpleasant smell.
Many dogs shake their ears quite violently when arousing from sleep, and may also occasionally scratch the ears, but repeated and violent head shaking is a sign that something is wrong.
Signs of Ear Diseases In Dogs
- Repeated scratching and head shaking.
- Head held with painful side downwards.
- Dark reddish-brown waxy deposit in the ear.
- An unpleasant smell from the ear.
- Inflammation heat, swelling and pain in the canal and flap.
Treatment Of Ear Diseases In Dogs
Any ear diseases in dogs must be properly diagnosed and treated without delay, as a simple condition may aggravate rapidly into a more complex situation which may become difficult and expensive to treat, and which may create a smell which pervades the whole house.
In addition, the acute pain caused by ear disease may make the dog irritable and inclined to snap when the ears are touched.
No attempt should be made to treat ear disease with proprietary remedies which may be inappropriate or useless for the particular condition affecting your dog.
Vet Care Advice For Treatment Of Ear diseases
Always seek veterinary advice early as delay could mean that an operation will be required to cure the condition if it has become chronic. Early treatment of ear diseases in dogs can save you time and money and prevent your dog suffering.
Prevention Of Ear Disease In Dogs
- Keep the hair in the underside of ear flaps combed free of burrs and tangles.
- Dry the dog’s ears after bathing
- Remove excess hair from inside the ears by plucking or clipping, but be gentle Ask your veterinary surgeon to show you how to do this. Failure to keep the vertical ear canal clear, clean and properly ventilated is often the root cause d otitis enema.
- Do not attempt to clean deeply inside the ear. Wipe the surface only with cotton wool damped with a weak disinfectant solution. Use only your fingers, never any kind of instrument or probe.
Possible Causes Of Ear Disease In Dogs – Otitis Externa (Canker)
- Ear mites – Tiny mites living within the ear can cause acute irritation which makes the dog scratch and so damage the tissue of the ear. Treatment requires the use of a product that contains an ingredient that will kill the mites. Cats in the same household may be the source of the infestation.
- A fungus or yeast infection in the ear – This leads to intense itching, a reddish‘ brown discharge and an offensive smell. Specific medication from the veterinary surgeon is needed.
- Foreign bodies – It is common when dogs are running through long grass for the awns, or seeds, to lodge in the ear. Typically dogs that have a foreign body in the ear suddenly scratch violently, shake and often hold their head on one side. Do not attempt to remove the foreign body. Take the dog at once to the veterinary surgery, where treatment can be carried out, if necessary, under local anaesthetic or a strong sedative.
- Allergy or an extension of skin disease – Diagnosis and treatment by a veterinary surgeon is obviously required when these causes are involved.
- Bacteria – Most bacterial infection is secondary to some other initiating cause. The correct selection of an antibiotic is necessary to obtain a rapid and complete cure.
- Ear conformation – There is no doubt that the structure of the external ear can be an important predisposing factor for the development of Otitis externa.
- Long, loosely-hanging, heavily feathered ear flaps prevent adequate ventilation, and excessively hairy ear canals, such as those occurring in Poodles and some Terriers, favour the retention of wax and debris leading to inflammation.
At the end of this post Vet Care is able to emphazise on the ear diseases in dogs and how such diseases can be treated and prevented.